Wednesday, December 10, 2008

SPOTLIGHT ON...

My sister! Rather than babble on about my "process" today, I want to brag on my sister. Two years ago, my sister went back to school after being out of school for 10years. Her goal, was to become a nurse. She has two children, and is married, and nursing school is not for the faint of heart.

She has always been incredibly smart, even when she didn't try she made good grades. So I never really doubted that she could do the work. What concerned me was her ability to do the work AND be a mom and a wife. But she did it. And she worked too.

Tonight she took her final nursing exam, and she passed. She finished nursing school with a "B" average. She did this raising a family, and working midnights shifts at the hospital in order to give her that "edge" she needed down the road. The pay wasn't bad either. But anyway, she did all this and made a freaking "B". She graduates Friday night and I couldn't be more proud of her, or happy for her, if it were me. For the record, I couldn't do what she did. I don't have the ability to stick it out during the hard times.

My sister can't buy luck. She gets ahead and something knocks her on her ass. It's always been that way for her. But for as long as I have known her, she has always had this insane ability to be happy for others. I don't know how she does this. When I got my band, you would have thought that she was getting one. When I got a new shirt she was as happy as if I got a new house. She's just one of those people who doesn't know the meaning of the word "jealous". Then again, if she was jealous, she would out and out tell you, she's not subtle nor is she passive aggressive in any way. She's an ass kickin', loud mouthed, loveable...nurse. And I have no doubt in my mind, that the world is a better place, with her being one. That her compassion, mixed with her badassedness, will make her the best stinkin' nurse the world has ever seen.

So, tomorrow she and I will be going to get our nails done, and shop for something fabulous for her to wear to her graduation Friday. We haven't spent much time together the past two years, and I can't wait to hang out. And not have her worrying about school, or studying, or any of the crap she no longer has to worry about. We're just gonna hang. And if something happens, like if a man passes out in the nail shop, she can say "it's ok, stand back, I'm a nurse".

No comments: