Sunday, December 21, 2008

Eating solids and the dreaded slime

On Thursday I was officially on solids. I went to lunch with my sister and my cousin, and I ordered a grilled chicken breast. I had to choose two side items and I chose mashed potatoes and this squash casserole. There weren't a lot of options and no way was I eating salad.

I ate about 1/2 of the chicken breast, in tiny little pieces. I was so afraid something would happen. I ate maybe 1/8 cup of the potatoes and 1 bite of the squash casserole. It was disgusting. I was pretty full, I boxed the chicken breast up with my daughters leftovers and left satisfied. I think that morning I had a scrambled egg for breakfast, but I shared it with a 13 month old so probably 1/2 a scrambled egg. That night for dinner, I had some buffalo chicken wings. I ate them very slowly and got full pretty fast. So in all on Thursday I got a lot of protein.

On Friday I had a scrambled egg for breakfast. I had decided that since school got out that day, I needed to finish up Christmas stuff because no way am I going shopping this time of year with a 4 and a 5 yr old. Individually it would have been fine, put them together and I'm in over my head. So I dropped the boy off at school at 8am, and went shopping. I was finally done at 1pm. I was exhausted. I hadn't eaten, but I stopped at the grocery store deli and got some chicken. It was good, I ate enough to feel satisfied but not too full. This was at about 2-ish. I went to my Nanas for dinner that night and I had probably a little less than a cup of chili. I ate slow and got full fast.

Yesterday I found that I was very hungry and there was nothing holding me back but sheer will. I had some spaghetti o's for lunch, I didn't eat breakfast. For dinner I made some chicken quesadillas with grilled chicken and low fat cheese. I squashed up some avocado and had that with low fat sour cream. Basically I took a big tortilla, filled it with 1/2 if that of the chicken and then a sprinkle of cheese. I ate a whole one. I was shocked. It doesn't seem like much, but in my eyes now it was. I was full. Definitely should have stopped sooner.

Today I woke up and had some cottage cheese. I had some melba toast crackers with it, and after I was done, I felt it coming on. I ran to the kitchen because it was closer and I experienced the dreaded slime. I guess I didn't chew the toast good enough. Pretty much it is exactly what it sounds like. A lot of saliva, not to be gross but it was pouring out of my mouth. I didn't throw up, but I was sure I was going to. I took a sip of water and now I'm fine. That is definitely not something I want to happen again. I was sure I could avoid it but I guess not.

Some things that I've noticed now that I'm back in normal eating mode. At lunch the other day, the girls I was with ordered the lunch portions of their meals. To me it just looked like a huge amount of food. I couldn't fathom eating that much. Yet at one time, I could and would have without so much as blinking. I also noticed that I instinctively go for the healthier choice. Fried or high fat foods aren't even in my line of vision at this point. I also notice that I am a friggin' machine when it comes to stamina. I move faster, I move smoother, I move like the wind. I have so much energy that it's like I'm a different person. I'm happier, almost manic happy. I have this sense of the world being wonderful and the future being so bright. I look forward to things that I didn't use to look forward to. Mind you I haven't lost any more weight since the initial weight I lost post op. I'm only down about 20lbs, but I feel different. I think my body is pure, there is no sugar, caffeine or crap holding me down.

I get my fill on Jan 6th. I really can't wait!

No comments: