Sunday, January 25, 2009

Our pediatrician...we're doing great!

I have nothing new going on with the lapband. So I thought I would bore/entertain/whatever with a story.

I love our pediatrician. From the day our boy was born, we were terrified we were in over our heads (we still are) we would screw up (we have), he would get hurt (he has). Nearly six years later and he is still assuring us that we're "doing great".

When my boy was about 3 months old I guess, I was home alone with him and changing his diaper. I realized when I changed him that his little boom booms had gone missing. I immediately called Dr. W and said "I can't find J's testicles". He said to me "well, that's not good. Put him in a warm bath and see what happens". I hurried in and ran a warm bath and put the baby in there, as I reached down to wash his precious little rump, there they were! I had found them! I called Dr. W, he was right there waiting, I told him "I found J's testicles, they were in a warm bath". Dr. W said to me "that's great, I suspected you would find them there. See, you're doing great!". When I would take the boy for check ups, I would tell Dr. W all about my fears about him. How he seemed to be afraid of things that I felt he shouldn't be. I told him how I worried that his intense nature might be a sign of something more dire. Dr. W just told me "that's J. That's who he is, and he's fine. As he gets older these things will change and he'll become who he is suppose to become. Your job is to find a way to work WITH his little mannerisms. You're doing great!". So I did. I found a way to handle my son, and at the same time avoid changing the things that one day will be to his advantage. My son is one of the coolest kids you'll ever meet. Although he still flips his lid if he see's Kermit the Frog or any other muppet but we're working on it.

My girl is 4 yrs old and she has red hair and an attitude. She recently came down with staph. I took her to Dr. W. He wanted to see her tummy, where the staph was. She didn't want him to see it, and fought me like a little tiger to keep from doing so. I sat there in front of Dr. W, trying to reason with my child while attempting to pull up her sweater at the same time. I was very patient. Even when she popped me three times upside my head I maintained my cool. I told Dr. W that I was trying to be patient but I really, truly, wanted to pick her up and throw her across the room. He said that I was more patient than he would be. After he diagnosed her and told me what to do, I told him that I was having a bit of a problem with my girl. Everyday is something of a fight. It might be hair brushing, it might be getting dressed, it might be over a can of soup. The kid fights me on everything. Once again Dr.W told me "this is S. This is her personality, she is stubborn and she is determined. In 20 years this will be good, you need to find a way to work with her. Show her patience and she will learn patience. The last thing you want to do is teach this one aggression". Then he said to me "you're doing great!" And he was right! I figured out that my girl needs to do things herself. She puts her medicine on herself, she bathes herself, she needs to do it herself. Once I figured it out, things started flowing a little smoother around here.

Smoother is good. I would say we are indeed, doing great.

1 comment:

Kristy said...

This is a good lesson for me with Jaida. She and Sydney sound so much alike with that attitude and stubbornness.