Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The man

The man went to the doctor for a physical back in December because he wasn't looking or feeling so hot. His blood pressure was up, some of his bloodwork came back iffy and he was just a mess. Fast forward, THROUGH Christmas, and he goes back for a follow up yesterday. He had lost 9lbs, his blood pressure was perfect as was his bloodwork.

Now, don't get me wrong, I am thrilled that he is doing better, but seriously? He loses 9lbs by just eating more vegetables and I have surgery and lose 5? Come on! What is the deal with that? I hate it, my dad is the same way, he can cut out one thing from his diet and drop like 20lbs in a week. It's so frustrating.

The man is a very, very laid back person. I've always thought it was cool how nothing ever really got to him. But since he started taking medicine for his blood pressure, he seems to have lost his ability to be cool.

He flies off the handle at the slightest thing. He actually nearly had a breakdown because the dogs were looking at him. He claims they always look at him, as if they want something and it drives him nuts. He also hates it when stuff falls. If he drops something the blood vessels in his forehead start to pulsate and his ears turn red. He reminds me of Yosemite Sam when he gets like this. I'm not making fun of him, I'm just sayin'...

Now, we discussed his recent change in personality, and I acknowledged that I am probably 99.9% of his problem because I'm sort of a pain in the ass. I mean I'm fun, I have my moments, but for the most part I'm a pain in the ass. I know this, and I know that he is a saint for putting up with me coming up on 9 years this March. Some things will change as I lose weight, I'll be happier so I won't be as bitchy. But I have to be honest here, I'm pretty set in my ways when it comes to certain things that seem to drive him up the wall. I WANT to change these things, but I don't see it happening if I'm being realistic. Because I can promise myself and him that I will be less of a pain until the cows come home and I will likely still be so, I encouraged him to try and manage his reactions to me rather than try to change me. I mean I have done that with his little things he does. However, I'm afraid that the only thing that will help him deal with my little things, might be medication.

But I am going to work on being aware of things that seem to get his chain rattled. None of these things are big things, just hitting the laundry basket, turning off lights when I leave a room, not erasing things from the DVR before he watches it or changing his recordings when he's at work. I will also be careful when I unwrap a piece of gum to not just toss it anywhere, and I will try to remember to put things back where I got them. I will not use his towel as a floor towel right before he takes a shower thus leaving him standing wet without a towel, I will not use his brush and leave it where the dog can get it. I will try not to leave the keys in the front door and then shut it and lock it so that when he comes home the house is locked with the keys in the door. I will also try to keep the dogs from looking at him. I have very little control over that last one, but it seems to be a big one for him. I'll try. That's all I can do.

Seriously, he lives in a frat house over here. God bless em'...

2 comments:

Beth said...

Omg, don't you hate it how guys lose weight?? It's like that commercial for Slimquick, I think it is. The woman has been drinking water for a year and hasn't lost a thing, while DH switched from regular to diet soda and lost 15 pounds.

I was also LOL at the comment about making sure the dogs don't look at him.

Sounds like he may need meds. Mine did. Finally got on them and now I don't want to kill or leave him. It saved my marriage, literally.

Mel said...

I'm so glad to know I'm not alone! lol