Friday, November 21, 2008

My surgery story

I got to the hospital one time, but for some reason they were backed up or something, so it took a while to get in a room. Then they gave me one of those funky gowns with the snaps that didn't even begin to allow for modesty. I sat there forever, then the doctor came in and we talked. Finally after about an hour and a half, they started with the IV and paperwork. I could tell the doctor was less than thrilled that I wasn't ready when he was.

So I went to the OR, they gave me a shot in my IV and the next thing that I remember was waking up in recovery next to some guy who kept saying he had to pee, the nurse kept telling him to go ahead and do it, he had a catheter in. Then another lady in recovery was screaming like a banshee. The fire alarm went off, and the lady next to me wasn't waking up from the anesthesia, so there were a ton of doctors working with her. Meanwhile I was laying there with my hands behind my head, just watching it all.

I got into my room, and within 10 minutes I got up and walked, went to pee, and took a pain pill. Next thing I know I'm home. I'm not in any pain, not any bad pain anyway. My stomach feels like it would feel if I were really hungry. Just sort of some spasm like things now and then. I slept ok, about 4am I went to the couch because I was hurting in my back from not being able to lay on my side. My mouth is so dry, it literally feels like I have cotton in my mouth.

Today I'm drinking broth, water, and some fruit juice. I'm not hungry at all, and I feel so amazingly good about the whole thing. I keep waking up from my demerol induced coma, not believing I actually did it, and I have no where to go butdown. No pain, feeling great, if I wasn't so drowsy from the pain meds, I'd go walk around the mall. So far, I haven't gas that bad. I have it, but it's not debilitating, just annoying.

I can definitely feel when I swallow that something is different. I can feel it stop. Twice last night and today, I had some water come back up on me, it wasn't bad, but it wasn't fun. I imagine I took too big a sip.

So I did it! The kids are being so sweet and they want to take care of me, and of course my Bobby is my rock. I don't know what I would do without him, and I have no intention of finding out.

No comments: