Saturday, November 29, 2008

Kettle chips and diet pepsi

It use to be that on Friday nights, I would get my US magazine in the mail. I get this because my friend Tina sent me a link to get a years subscription for $5. Whenever I get the mail, I see it, and I say "thanks Tina", then I go inside and make myself an ice cold diet pepsi, grab a bag of kettle chips and settle in for a while. It wasn't that unusual for me to consume the entire bag of kettle chips.

Last night, I got my magazine, said "thanks Tina", went in the house and had a carnation instant breakfast with a blob of peanut butter and some ice water with lime. Not the same. It's little things like this that remind me that things will never be the same. The only thing that is worse than not being able to have the chips and diet pepsi, is that it bothers me that I won't get them. Why does it have to bother me? Why can't I just be ok with it?

I'm a work in progress, I realize this. I made it through Thanksgiving, and I made it through the realization that Friday nights with US and kettle chips and diet pepsi are over. In a couple of months I will be able to eat kettle chips again, and in about 6 months I can have diet pepsi again. I have got to get my mind set changed or next year at this time I'll be spending my friday nights just as a did a month ago. I have to come up with other things that I look forward to that do not involve food. I don't know how to do this, it's just how I have always done things.

Should I take up knitting? I don't know.

No comments: