Sunday, May 10, 2009

Ooooh gas

Last Sunday I woke up feeling really full and bloated. I felt like I had just finished a huge Thanksgiving meal. I was miserable. I tried to have some breakfast and I couldn't get past a bite, and when I did eat it hurt like hell. I took some Gas-x because I was able to drink water, I wasn't nauseated or throwing up, just really full feeling.

I went to lunch on Monday with my mom and we went to a mexican restaurant. I had the insides of a chicken enchilada, the chicken is really moist and the pieces are small, and keeps me full. I also have rice with it. I can eat rice, some can't but I can. I took a bite and my stomach cramped like a beast. I didn't eat the rest of the day. I called my doctor on Tuesday because I was concerned, but they said to take Gas-X and stay on warm soup or liquids a couple of days to see if it passed. It got better, but not great.

On Friday I spent the day at my sons school, running the halls and then my daughter had tee ball practice that night. I was running, jumping, squatting, all the things I wouldn't have even considered doing a year ago. Have I mentioned that I LOVE this stinking band? Anyway, that night I went to my Nanas for dinner and they had those giant sub sandwiches. I took the insides out of a slice of the turkey and provolone sandwich and had that with some peeled grapes and banana slices. I did not have so much as a cramp. So I need to stay active!

I never really had gas up until last week. And I have to say that I felt so stinking good Friday night after all that activity that it has just encouraged my desire to get as much exercise in as possible. Swimming season is around the corner and with tee ball starting I'll have at least 2 good workout days a week and I can just walk the other days.

But...the interesting thing is...when I had my adjustment 2 weeks ago I got to the perfect spot. 10 days later I had dropped 8lbs. When this gas started up, I stalled. When I woke up on Saturday I had lost 2lbs. I have to eat or I simply do not lose weight. And I eat the protein first, then I have the veggies or fruit. I know that they say that and everyone knows it but it's so tempting to have the soft stuff first. I made my family pasta last week and I had the sauce with some ricotta cheese. It was really good. I made tacos last night and I had refried beans, with some cheese and guacamole. I didn't need the shell, it was good and beans are a wonderful source of protein. I used fat free beans and low fat cheese. But I went full Monty on the guac. It's how I roll.

My mother in law wanted to go to breakfast today. I told them that eating out was not really my bag, especially in the morning. So he took her and they had a nice time alone while I stayed here with my rugrats. Eating out use to be really fun. I use to love to go and talk and have fun, but now I would rather do something else. I can't think of what, but something that doesn't involve food. I'll go with my mom, or a friend, but it's mostly for the company. I always ask for a to go box as soon as the food gets there. Because before I have even begun everyone else is almost finished. My sister says I make her feel like a pig, I don't mean to but I cannot eat fast! The consequences are not just unhealthy but they HURT!

So, I'm happy to report that I am gassy no more. Or at least not as gassy. I've decided that gas is going to be an issue, but it will keep me active because I know that if I'm not, I'm going to hurt. And I really don't like to hurt!

1 comment:

Amy W. said...

I havent had gas pains since the first week post-op, but I do fart a lot...:)

I def burp more than before!