Sunday, May 10, 2009

A Year Ago

Last year on PTO fun day, I caught that glimpse of myself in the window. That was the day that my life changed.

Friday was PTO fun day, and I caught a glimpse of myself in the window. I nearly cried. I saw some pictures and I nearly cried. I realize I have a long way to go, but for the first time in my life, I can look back on a year ago and say that I DID do something about it. And I'm NOT the same person I was back then.

So many times in my life I've thought to myself "if I had stuck it out, I would have lost 50 lbs by now". This time I did it! I cannot begin to explain how amazing it feels to have followed through. That day I was also able to keep up with my kids, I had energy and stamina and I wasn't ashamed to be in front of a group of people teaching kids to play tee ball. I was able to stand up there in front of them, with confidence and faith in myself. I may not be thin yet, but I'm a hell of a lot closer today than I was a year ago.

Could I have done it alone and without my band? Maybe. But that's not the route I chose. I'm healthy, I'm happy, and I'm losing weight at a steady, healthy pace. Yeah there have been some hard times, but none so hard that I can even remember them specifically. But I can remember feeling embarassed and ashamed as clear as if it were yesterday. So I cannot even fathom what next years PTO fun day will be like for me. I may go in a bikini. My biggest worry may be a total and complete lack of a tan. I'm ok with that.

1 comment:

Beth said...

Feels good, doesn't it? :)